Find us on Facebook Follow FatsInTheCats on Twitter Follow our RSS News Feed
Home Membership Calendar Trail Building Forums Trails & Bike Shops Photos Links Contact
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     CalendarCalendar  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Vassar Farms Trail Work

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> Trails
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tom church

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:40 am    Post subject: Vassar Farms Trail Work Reply with quote

I cleaned out Mr. Bojangles and Blair yesterday...there where a lot of downed trees and vines.

There is still a lot of work needed there though as the place has been fairly ill maintained over the last few years.

I have a few other ideas that I want to get some help/opinions on...

*Fix the swamp bridge on Bojangles
*Fix/rebuild the drop/ramp off the log on Bojangles
*Fix the teeter
*Fix the other bridges up there
*Fix/rebuild the bridge over the tree
*Fix/rebuild the jumps on the trail by the chairs
*The 12 footer should come down in my opinion...the slats are weak and I have broken them by walking on them before...I suggest building a ramp/roller type thing down off that rock and a drop with a transition next to it.
*The roots/erosion/mud at the base of the Marley Trail are pretty bad...I am sure that there is an easy re-route if people are interested in that.
*See if there is room for a more in the woods reroute for the trail leading through the swamp into the back area. That area is still pretty muddy...

There are a few other small things that I am already working on such as a couple of new log rides/skinny's but those are minor.

So anyone interested in doing some trailwork next weekend? I can get as many pallets as I want so wood is not an issue. I suggest taking pallet slats and doubling them up for strength.

Tom
mike stopski

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Tom. I'd like to help, but I can't be present. I do, however, have a nice stack of "slats" that are much thicker and sturdier than pallet slats that I'd be willing to donate to the cause, only problem is that I am also unable to deliver them. I do, however, have this "skidful" of stacked slats that are bundled and banded, and can easily pick them with a forklift and place them in a pickup truck if someone felt so inclined to pick them up. I am located approx 12 minutes from Rhinecliff Bridge, or 6 minutes from Thruway exit @ Kingston, West on Route 28.

Let me know if interested, I can be more specific with details.
jamesframes

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great idea- i rode mr bojangles today, and just about everything is rideable- met up with some free riders from out of town who threw some big stuff- i'll let ya know if ill be around next weekend

Support your LBS-Bicycle Depot New Paltz NY
Tim845

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see some gravel put down for 100 feet or so above the bridge (chronic muddy section), never got farther than wondering how to present work ideas to whom. Lots of work needed, I bet there's plenty of help around.
bluebug32

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been in touch with Vassar's cycling club and they do a trail maintainance day there at least once in the spring and are very eager to rebuild some of the stunts and clear the trails. If we decide on a day, let me know and I can get in touch with them to enlist their help too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> Trails All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: